Emma Lost Her First Tooth--and She's Only FOUR!
But look, she's beautiful still! :)
This event has to get it's very own post because it was so devastating for me--not Emma, just her vain mother. That front tooth has taken at least 3 very serious hits (one to the pavement, one from a door knob and the other I can't quite remember) through the years (the first time happening when I was in the hospital giving birth to Isaiah--she was barely 17 months old).
In October of last year, I had the dentist look at it at a regular check-up and found out that if I had come in earlier, they could have done a child root canal and probably saved the tooth. AHHHH!!!! Hindsight. . .
Anyway...at that October appointment, the dentist told me that he could pull it then or I could wait another couple of weeks before it fell out. He showed me the x-ray and it was very clear that the root was DEAD. I said I'd hang onto it. I'd rather a black tooth than no tooth. So. . .it hung on tight until a week ago Sunday. Actually, it was Saturday when I noticed that the gums were red above it and I began to worry that she had an infection and my vanity was going to cause her undue problems. So. . .I told Lou to go ahead and pull it (since it was the weekend and I couldn't see the dentist). Can you believe, even with a dead root, he couldn't get it out after about 15 minutes of pushing and pulling gently. I was planning on going to Idaho first thing Monday morning but was worried that I should wait until I could go into the dentist before I left. So, on Sunday after Sacrament meeting, Lou took Emma into the bathroom and pulled the tooth. There was definately an infection because he said it smelled like death and black stuff was in the tooth. Apparently, Emma laughed when he pulled it out. She's so cute! She has been so excited about it and didn't want to give her tooth to the Tooth Fairy. She wanted to keep it and show it off.
Today, we were able to get in to her dentist and checked it out with a regular checkup and he said it looks great! YEAH! I'm glad all is well. And now, we get a toothless grin for the next 4 or more years!


4 Comments:
Oh SAD!! I feel your pain. Carter lost a tooth at 4 too. It took FOREVER for me to get used to looking at him. Now I just WISH his top two front teeth would fall out. He's got cavaties on the backs of them, but I think we're just going to wait til they fall out rather than pay to have them fixed. I think Emma looks like a little doll and SO grown up with a missing tooth.
Sad! But she is still beautiful! I LOVE her hair in the first picture. And I can't believe how brave she is! I was getting sick just listening to your description of Lou working on pulling it out!
She is beautiful and even more so with a missing tooth. Kids are always cute with a missing tooth, even if she is so young. It's too bad it will take so long to grow back in. But I'm glad it got out before it caused her an infection. YAY!
oh man! but she is still adorably beautiful :)
Post a Comment
<< Home