Sunday, February 03, 2008

In Honor of Ms. McKenzie

Damian's kindergarten teacher, Ms. McKenzie passed away this Saturday, February 2, 2008. She has been battling various types of cancer for several years. She made it through their Christmas Program and then wasn't able to come back to school after that. She was very private about everything, so I don't have any details (the obituary hasn't been printed yet). This is a very sad thing for us. Gehrig and Damian were both lucky enough to have her as their teacher. She gave them a wonderful start to school. We loved her and will really miss her, but are glad to know that she is no longer suffering.

Damian had a dream about 2 weeks ago that she was better and we were having a party with her. We used this dream to tell him about her death and let him know that she is better now. He and Gehrig took it just fine. I think it might be harder for me than them. It's been hard adjusting to different teachers, but Damian seems to be taking it all in stride. He had a substitute for the month of January and now has 2 new teachers to finish out the school year. Mrs. Jackson will be there from Monday-Thursday and Mrs. Cossa will teach him on Fridays.

This was Gehrig's first day of kindergarten with Ms. McKenzie. She was very worried about her students--they were her kids.

This was at Gehrig's Christmas Program last year.

Posted by PicasaGehrig and Annie (our closest friend and neighbor) at their Christmas Program last year.

6 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Claudia said...

Oh, I am so sad. She was a sweet lady. That was a good idea to take off from Damian's dream. Maybe it was given to him for comfort. Amazing how easy it is to comfort a child. Another reason we should become like a child to enter the Kingdom....
Wow...sobering....

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Elena said...

Oh that is so sad! It's hard to find awesome teachers. That's how I feel about Halle's teacher. They are rare gems. (And will get bonus points in heaven I think.) Hope Damian cand handle all the new teacher switching, that's got to be sort of hard on the kids.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Michael and Brinn said...

That is so sad! She looked like a very sweet woman and teacher. These moment are hard, but so great to teach gospel principles. I agree with you, I think we often take it harder than the kids do. I'm sad, and I didn't even know her.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. Kids are resilient, though so I'm sure they'll adjust fine. It makes me so grateful to know what I know due to religion. I feel so badly for those who are not aware of what happens after this life. It can make death a very scary thing. Good luck with the transitioning.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger alicia king said...

How sad to lose such a great teacher! Your son will always remember her!

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Elena said...

Hey, haven't heard from you in a while. Is everything okay? Maybe I should call.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home