Monday, May 23, 2011

First Few Minutes After Delivery

Liam Nathaniel was born at 1:33 PM weighing 7 pounds 3 ounces and 20 1/2 inches long.
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My mom actually made it a few minutes before he was delivered, but waited outside for a half hour or so to give us some time before she let us know she was here. We are so grateful for her help here and then for taking 3 of the kids back to Idaho with her. I think I would have been in the looney bin without all her help!
 
Posted by Picasa

Liam enjoyed the shampoo part of his first bath.

Just like all my other children, Liam's hair is curly when wet, straight when dry (at first).


Me and my latest great love!

Mostly for my records and any who are interested to read on. . .I had many real contractions for the last month as my body prepared for Liam's arrival. Thursday morning was different--at first only because the contractions were so close to each other. My first contraction started at 7:10 AM and the rest came every 3-5 minutes from then on. It shocked me b/c I've never gone into labor without contractions starting farther apart. I thought I'd have more time to prepare, but by 7:30ish, I was beginning to panic. I needed to figure out who would watch my children and finish packing and get to the hospital and it didn't feel like I had much time.

Gratefully, I had some wonderful friends step in and help (Cedar got my children to my friend Christy's house where they spent most of the day and then MaryLynn took them for several more hours and fed my family and sent us home with another meal). Lou, gratefully, hadn't gone to work yet, so was able to get me to the hospital. When they checked me I was at a 4+ and 100% effaced. The nurse said that if I wanted the epidural, I should get it right away. So. . .that is what I did. This time, it didn't slow the contractions down, so the nurse predicted I would deliver by 11 that morning. At 10:15 I was at a 6+. At 10:40 the doctor broke my water and I was at an 8. At 11:55 I was at a 9. Well, the clock kept ticking and the baby wasn't coming. The contractions were regular and moving along, so I began to wonder what was going on. I asked the nurse and at 12:15 she checked and found that he was posterior. She had me lay as far on my right side as I could for a while and then she had me move to my left. He must have worked it out because he finally arrived, with Lou's help (as seen in my other post) at 1:33!

I feel so blessed to have had such a wonderful labor and delivery with no complications to speak of and to have delivered a healthy baby! We have so much to be grateful for. It's such a relief to have this part over with without complications. . .now the real work begins! Right?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I love that picture of you with Liam...and the one with you looking up at Lou holding him. You look AMAZING after just having your fifth child! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home