Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Fun!

Neighbor Gifts: Each year I spend a lot of time trying to come up with a thoughtful, inexpensive gift for my friends and neighbors. I stew over it and stew over it because I always try to give to more people than I can afford to give to (should I say how many I made? 76). With things being so tight in our economy (and in my home personally), I really wanted to do something that would reflect frugality, resourcefulness or help in time of need (not to mention giving something that wouldn't add inches to the waist--since I'm trying to be weight conscious!).



So. . .I found this idea on http://www.everydayfoodstorage.net/ and decided that it met my requirements. It is made out of food storage items and used washed cans (eco-friendly!:)). There is a cup of wheat at the bottom and a bag of dry ingredients on the top (including powdered milk, sugar, salt & baking powder). Instructions are included to make Whole Grain Pancakes. I had never thought of blending wheat kernels in a blender with water to make a batter. Interesting. . anyway, I'm not sure if people will think I'm crazy or hate it, but at least I tried. (I tried them out of my family and my kids loved them--Lou didn't.) The kids have had fun delivering them with me. What a project!!




I let the children decorate this year. It was so fun to see Gehrig helping his little brother. If you look at the series, you'll see him showing Isaiah how to hang an ornament, helping him hold it, helping him hang it, Isaiah looking up to see how his big brother did it, etc. Aren't they cute?


Gingerbread Houses--I started out trying to help them, but when I realized that my perfectionism was getting in the way, I turned it over to them and left the room. They were much happier, and so was I. They did a pretty good job, didn't they?


















Our Ward Christmas Party was a Saturday morning breakfast. We had a great time. The boys sang with a group that I accompanied (top left picture). Remembering her experience with Minnie Mouse, Emma refused to get anywhere near Santa. Isaiah slowly warmed up to the idea and did quite well. Notice the top middle picture where he's looking on. He inched his way closer and closer until he found himself in Santa's lap. Cute kid! Damian was saying that he wants a monster truck "THIS big!". I guess Gehrig was wishing for a real gun. I hope they're not too disappointed when Santa doesn't bring those things! Maybe if we lived in the country. . .



Posted by Picasa


,

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, Blogger Elena said...

Holy BATS! 76?! You are one crazy (and very nice) neighbor. I limited it to 10 this year. I just had to. I really hate the politics of neighbor gifts, it kind of makes me grumpy. But I love that so far, only 2 out of the 8 or so we've recieved haven't been homemade somethings. It's been fun for me this year to relive an old fashioned (poor) Christmas with everyone baking and making away. I'm sure everyone will love your gifts. It was a great idea!

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Camille said...

SEVENTY-SIX??? Geesh, woman! You ARE the woman! And I think it's a great idea. I like practical things. I think your neighbors will appreciate it too.

The gingerbread house they made is so cute! They are such creative kids!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home