Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Poetry Festival

One of the perks of homeschooling is allowing opportunities like these. . .I had every intention to begin schooling first thing in the morning, but Damian beat me to it with his puzzle. When Gehrig woke up, he came to join Damian. It was so cute to hear them figuring things out together, complimenting each other and feeling success in their endeavor!
In an attempt to find 5 missing pieces, we took the opportunity to organize the millions of puzzles we had torn apart and find some toys we could donate to a charitable organization. Then, the highlight of our day, THE POETRY FESTIVAL. K12 seems to have at least one social gathering a month. This month is was an opportunity to memorize and perform a favorite animal poem. Gehrig did a fabulous job with Eletelephony by Laura E. Richards (a great poem that solicits laughter from the audience).
Damian seemed a little more nervous with his poem, but did an excellent job as well! He recited another funny anonymous poem called, The Grasshopper and the Elephant. I was so proud of them! Emma giggled after each of them received applause! What a great opportunity for them.
They were each given a beautiful collection of poems for their efforts (if you notice the book behind Gehrig and in Damian's hand, you'll see them). Gehrig's was Robert Louis Stevenson poems and Damian's was Emily Dickinson poems. The illustrations are beautiful! As if that weren't enough reward, they also each received a FREE sundae at Arctic Circle and a FREE kid's meal at Applebees! We're already enjoying reading the great books of poetry! Thank you K12!
Posted by Picasa

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger The Harding Hive said...

Hi Angela. I haven't checked out your blog for awhile and now here I am and I have to tell you....you look FANTASTIC. I love your new haircut and you are so thin. Way to go!

Also, a really good friend of mine in my new ward does home schooling and her daughter just participated in the poetry festival as well. How fun! What a great mom you are.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger jen1313 said...

How great is that to have them working together without any parental instuctions. What wonderful rewards K-12 gives. I'm sure Gehrig loved performing. How fun.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Camille said...

That's great! I bet your kids are loving this K12 stuff!

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Tamie said...

what a great experience for the boys....i'm sure that it was great to watch them accomplish so much! (as memorizing poetry always is!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home